Friday, April 19, 2013

imma grow my own brine skrimpz!

i sat in traffic for over an hour yesterday just to go to my LFS only to find they didn't have any frozen hikari brine shrimp with spirulina in stock!  no NPS corals either!  grr!

i've decided to grow my own b/c it's not worth the drive to the LFS (for the cheapest price) anymore and it's not worth the overnight shipping costs even if i order in bulk. i'll keep you posted how i get this show on the road...

update:
dug through our misc aquarium supplies and found a couple air pumps, an old crusty DIY refugium and remnants of a brine shrimp hatchery kit. i cleaned off everything and planned to hatch brine in the little hatchery doohickey then grow them out on our window sill in the little refugium next to the main tank. wish me luck on my little brine shrimp breeding adventure!



update:
i ditched the DIY refugium and went with a larger sterilite tub so the critters have more room to grow. i'd like to have multiple cultures going so i'm going to try growing some tigger pods in a tub as well along side the brine once i have my phytoplankton culture established



No comments: